20 December 2011

Yi Yi (Taiwan, 2000)

A film about the emotional struggles of a businessman and the lives of his middle-class Taiwanese family in Taipei seen through three generations.

If you were to ask me what my favorite film of all time is, I would nine times out of ten answer Yi Yi. It's a film about life to put it simply. About everything, and about nothing. A drama that has so much heart and soul, and is in my opinion perfect in every way. I'm almost at a loss for words when trying to describe it actually, there's no way I can do it justice.

It's such an incredible match of cast and cinematography (the reflections, oh God the reflections). The acting and the different subplots just come together to form a heavenly mix of everything you could want from a movie. So unbelievably well-directed. Edward Yang who made the film really created something special here, and well, I've made myself perfectly clear already but I'm just so stunned and floored by this movie. Give it a chance, I'm certain you won't regret it.


Genre: Drama/Romance. 2h 53min.

No comments:

Post a Comment