10 January 2016

Tag (Japan, 2015)

A girl's life cascades into chaos as everyone around her suffers a gruesome fate while she herself becomes less and less certain of who she is and what kind of a world she lives in.

Tag (a.k.a. Riaru onigokko) is either one of the most exciting films I've seen lately, or one of the worst. Hard to tell. I mean, tons of schoolgirls getting chopped in half by a mysterious force, teachers mowing down students with machine guns and suddenly, traveling between alternate realities? Okay, sure. It was directed by Shion Sono, a director I have talked about before so I don't wan't to repeat myself but let's just say I often struggle to watch his films to the end. Tag, I could at least watch the whole way through and still be entertained by the madness of it. The soundtrack was one of the highlights due to the addition of some song from Japanese post-rock band Mono, which for some reason fit the film really well with their beautiful yet melancholy sound.

Gory, trippy and hopelessly Japanese, Tag should appeal to everyone who's a fan of the bizarre.  


Genre: Horror

No comments:

Post a Comment