19 May 2014

Pieta (South Korea, 2012)

A loan shark is forced to reconsider his violent lifestyle after the arrival of a mysterious woman claiming to be his long-lost mother.

Upon its release, Kim Ki-duk's (3-IronPieta got very mixed reviews. The somewhat disturbing and questionable themes of the film sparked negative reviews, and others said the sexual violence and animal cruelty wasn't necessary. Now I may be a blind Kim Ki-duk fanboy and my opinions about his films are rarely even remotely negative, but for what it's worth, I was completely drawn into this film despite its suggestive nature. There's some really f-cked up things going on when a son molests his mother and asking her "I came out of here? Can I go back in?" when grabbing her between the legs. On that subject, the two main characters are very well-casted, and they feel very natural. I think the one and only aspect of a Kim Ki-duk film I don't like is the animal cruelty, because I'm never in the mood of seeing small animals being hurt. 


But nonetheless, Kim Ki-duk knows the art of film making, and he's one of Asia's most interesting directors, delivering a sense of ultra-realism in his pictures. And that's something I always can get behind.

Genre: Drama

No comments:

Post a Comment